phantom pregnancy after spaying???

Dog Health Discussion - Discuss all canine health, diet, and general welfare issues.

Moderators: Richard, Martin

phantom pregnancy after spaying???

Postby newdogowner » 26 May 2009, 10:20

I know this probably sounds a bit strange but ... has anybody had any experience of a dog showing signs of a phantom pregnancy after they've been spayed?
Ours was 'done' last Thursday (12 weeks after her season) and since then she has been inseperable from her kong toy which she insists on carrying everywhere. She's whining a lot, especially if she drops her kong and has been digging in the sofa and nesting with all the shoes in the hall. She's off her food and she's restless and generally not herself, including growling at my son which she has never done before!
When she had her 3 day check at the vets he said that everything was healing well and to come back at 10 days for stitch removal. I don't think she's in pain although she does have a bit of shaving rash round her operation site. She seems fine otherwise with no problems with weeing etc.
Is it possible she's in the throes of a phantom pregnancy?
Any suggestions as to what to do??
newdogowner
Fluffy Puppy

Re: phantom pregnancy after spaying???

Postby Sonia » 26 May 2009, 14:20

I would take her back to the vet, or phone and ask for advice. I haven't heard of that happening before but maybe it is to do with rapid change of hormones due to spaying. I was "spayed"on the same day as another woman and she had to be sectioned un the Mental Health Act, she eventually recovered, but it was all due to the operation and change of hormones.

Sonia
Sonia
Schutzhund Dog

Postby doorb » 26 May 2009, 18:03

Had a right blonde moment then Sonia - read your post and thought several things, which in rapid succession went

"how the hell is the dog typing that"?

to

"why on earth did she go to the vets and not the hospital"

to

blonde me, oops :oops: :crazy:

Time for a well earned drink I think :lol: (either that or give the men in white coats a call) :supergrin:
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'"

"I'm not a complete nutter - there are parts of me missing"

Charlie - Rotti/Lab, male
Ollie - Collie, male
Flo - Labradoodle, female
Me - Nutty
doorb
Advanced Working Dog

Postby Richard » 26 May 2009, 18:34

There coming to take you away HAHA there comeing to take you away!!!!!

never mind DoorB more Ultrablonde........think ive read it all now........

Rich
Handle every stressful situation like a dog...
If you can't eat it or hump it....
Pee on it and walk away.....
Richard
K9 Moderator

Postby doorb » 26 May 2009, 18:39

Its been a long bank hol and after working an event yesterday where wallies throw themselves down after a big cheese has scrambled my brain

well thats my excuse anyways :lol:
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'"

"I'm not a complete nutter - there are parts of me missing"

Charlie - Rotti/Lab, male
Ollie - Collie, male
Flo - Labradoodle, female
Me - Nutty
doorb
Advanced Working Dog

Postby Sonia » 26 May 2009, 20:40

Well that's OK Doorb because I'm a blond too :) So understand your thinking process!

Sonia
Sonia
Schutzhund Dog

Return to Dog Health