Whats the best dried food to feed my Springer Spaniel puppy?

Dog Health Discussion - Discuss all canine health, diet, and general welfare issues.

Moderators: Richard, Martin

Whats the best dried food to feed my Springer Spaniel puppy?

Postby Lynnie » 06 Mar 2008, 13:13

Hi, I've just taken Ruby for her 6 month check at the vets, she got on really well, good weight, her coat teeth etc are really good, they were generally pleased with her. I was asked what I fed Ruby on and when I said Bakers puppy food they asked if I'd noticed a difference in her behavour, as this product can make some dogs hyperactive. Does anyone know if this is correct??
What would you advice the best food to feed her on, I must admit her behavour has changed but we put it down to her age and us relaxing the training with her, which is know being corrected!!
I have been told that Field and Trial is a good make??
Any ideas would help, we also give her chicken and liver with some gravy which she loves!!!
Hi I have a 6 month old Springer Spaniel bitch called Ruby! Hopefully she will be a working dog for my Dad to work replacing his spaniel Rusty who has now retired as he is 13 years old
Lynnie
Housebroken Pup

Postby debbie » 07 Mar 2008, 10:03

Hi Lynnie

While i cant advise what is THE best dry food i can tell you my experience with Bakers. Kaiser (our 15month old boxer) was twelve weeks when we bought him. He was being fed Nutro which he seemed happy on UNTIL he just stopped eating it. Maybe this was a mix of me leaving his food out all day and him growing up. So i took him to two meals a day and started to take the food away if he didnt eat it. THEN the big mistake came. I thought that Bakers looked tastier!!! So i put him on that. It was the puppy food at first. He was so hyper but we just put that down to him being a puppy AND a boxer. Then i started looking into what was in the food we were feeding him and i was shocked and felt disgusted with myself to be honest that i had fed him this. So without going on further i can say that Bakers wasnt a good choice for him and his poo was runny more than 60% of the time.

I would reccommend James Wellbeloved. And stay clear of anything that says animal Derivatives etc etc anything that clearly doesnt say what meat it is and the additives BHA & BHT
We also stayed clear of anything containing beef, wheat, gluten and dairy products as these are the main causes of allergies but that depends on the dog. Just look at the ingredients in the food before you buy, Usually you will pay for what you get.

There are a lot of discussion on here about food .............i think its a big topic!!!

Kaiser now is alot more calmer. I do believe the food was a big contribution although we have had him castrated too so that may contribute to his behaviour.
debbie
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Pat » 07 Mar 2008, 13:33

Hello Lynnie
I’m completely with Debbie on steering clear of any dog food containing artificial additives/ preservatives and animal or vegetable ‘derivatives’.

Our pair are fed on Burns, which is similar to James Wellbeloved, and it suits them very well. The fat content is also lower than in many other brands. The other thing is that the recommended daily feeding amounts are far smaller too, so it doesn’t actually work out any dearer in the long run -- especially if you buy online.

Milo is almost 6 months old so he’s still on puppy Minibites. Poppy, who is 10, seems very happy with all of the Burns varieties we’ve tried. They are a bit spoilt so we usually add a small amount of veg or chicken, or sometimes a dollop of Naturediet or Burns canned food to one meal each day -- not that either has ever refused dry food alone!
Pat
We live in Cheshire with two Jack Russell Terriers, Poppy (female, born Oct 97) and Milo (male, born Sept 07).
Pat
Working Dog

Postby debbie » 07 Mar 2008, 14:05

these are the ingredients in the Bakers adult complete food.Cereals (minimum 4% rice in the yellow kernel), Meat and animal derivatives (minimum 4% turkey in the light brown kernel, minimum 4% fresh meat in the soft moist kernel), Vegetable protein extracts, Derivatives of vegetable origin, Oils and fats, Fish and fish derivatives, Various sugars, Minerals, Yeasts, Vegetables (minimum 4% vegetables in the green kernel). Contains EC permitted colourants, antioxidants and preservatives.

I meant to say that BHA & BHT can and are more often than not described as "EC permitted preservatives!" Given what the EC will actually aprove i think it best to steer well clear.

Unfortunately on my search i also found that the dog food company only has to list these on its labels when they themselves add it to foods.
If the product they purchase has these chemicals added as a "preservative," by law they do not have to list it on their labels. You may be getting ingredients you think you're not.
debbie
Schutzhund Champion

Postby lindsey » 07 Mar 2008, 15:58

i don't have vast amounts of experience in dried dog food, but ours are now fed on james wellbeloved. we were advised to feed nugget arden grange by the rescue centre but he wouldn't eat it. we then bought the purina food which nugget would eat but when rocky came along changed to james wellbeloved on account of the sloppy poos.
within a matter of a week of changing to the james wellbeloved i noticed a HUGE difference in rocky's behaviour, he was a lot calmer and more responsive to commands and training, and both dogs poo less, and it's firmer and easy to pick up (sorry for gross description).

my sister in law has a rather hyperactive dog and they were advised by a behaviourist some time ago to avoid bakers food.
lindsey
Working Dog

Postby TracyJ » 08 Mar 2008, 15:27

Our dog was being fed Hills Science plan at the rescue centre and they gave us a small bag to take home. We carried on giving this to him for the first few weeks and then switched him to Arden Grange - the training school we joined recommended Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved or Burns.

His poos were often runny on the Arden Grange so we started giving him a small amount of Naturediet wet food with his kibble which has sorted him out...he absolutely loves it too and really licks his dish clean now! I'm thinking of switching to Burns when he's finished the Arden Grange though as it's got a lower protein and fat content so it's probably a better combination with the Naturediet.
Eddie - Male Border Collie, approx 3-4 years old, rescued Oct 07
TracyJ
Obedient Dog

Postby Marion » 09 Mar 2008, 13:05

Hi Lynnie,

To learn more about the hidden dangers of commercial dog food follow this link:

http://www.k9obedience.co.uk/dogcare/food/dangers.html

Years ago I had my collie on Bakers (thought it looked so delicious on the packet. :oops: :oops: :oops:) My collie reacted violentl to the red colouring coating some of the pieces. She kept vomiting and retching and was extremely hyper.

Remember that "derivatives" can mean tails, beaks, trimmings, fur, feathers, and even seepings off the floor. Cereal derivatives is made up of all the dust and debris left over from human food processing. This is why many of the dog food companies are sister companies of human food manufacturers.

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Maxine100 » 09 Mar 2008, 23:02

After reading the the earlier post .........FOOD - going to give the natural food a go!!! (I really don't feed my kids dog food) :lol: :lol: Thanks Marion! :D
and speaking to Martin, I started reading up on dog food.
I have also read the link Marion posted above.

Now, I would love to say i'm going to cook up Bailey's dinner every day, but I can't. I just don't have the time. (Teenagers, work when I never finish on time, dog walking, etc, etc I could go on) it's not an excuse, I rarely have 5 minutes time for myself.

But, I do want to feed Bailey a better diet than he is already on. At the moment he gets dry dog food similiar to Bakers and I now know that's not nearly good enough for him. I do know his pooh's are fine though because thats my job too! :roll: (Picking them up from the garden)

Amongst 101 other dog foods, I have been reading up on Burns dog food and the ingredients in that seem ok? :?
Bailey does get meat and rice/pasta at the wknds (when i'm not working) beef knuckles and marrow bones too during the week.

Any advice please on the better dry dog foods available would be much appreciated?

Oh and just another quick question. Why when you get a rescue dog, do they nearly always tell you to feed them Chappie? Is it just because it's the cheapest on the shelf?

And one last question. (I promise) :D
If pedigree branded dog food is so bad for your dog, why do they advertise it at crufts? I am assuming they are a sponsor? :?
Maxine100
Working Trials Champion

Postby Emo Fairy » 10 Mar 2008, 01:13

I'd really love some recommendations for feeding food more naturally. It will be nice to cook something for Tai to eat which I hope will be more nutritionally balanced that the Bakers Complete which you assume would be ok for your dog!

I read the link and watched the video Marion posted. Thanks muchly! If you have any good recipes or ideas I'd love some! :)

xxx
Emo Fairy
Housebroken Pup

Postby Marion » 10 Mar 2008, 09:52

Did any of you that went to Crufts visit the JoeJacks pet food stand and get their special offer consisting of a carrier bag full of their food products. It is all human grade quality and if you are going to feed your dog commercial food this has to be one of the best outside of organic food. Downside...It is horriably expensive, £1.60 a pouch or tray and in my multi dog household it just just not affordable. I said as much to Joe and was told that as sales rise so will the price decrease....check it out on:

http://www.petskitchen.co.uk/Joe-and-Jacks/

Maxine and Emo, I will post a reply this afternoon as I am rushing to take Shadow to vet. He collapsed last night and is in a lot of pain. Hopefully it is down to arthritis, the result of him getting stuck in a drain yesterday and not the Wobblers excellerating.

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Emo Fairy » 10 Mar 2008, 10:54

Much love to Shadow and yourself Marion! Thinking of you and hope he's ok!
Tai - Female GSD - Born 05/07
Emo Fairy
Housebroken Pup

Postby claire » 10 Mar 2008, 11:33

Hows shadow??? :cry:
claire
Schutzhund Dog

Postby CJ » 10 Mar 2008, 13:05

I feed Belle Burns mini bites with some naturediet wet and she loves this. I also throw raw veg in when I can and give her sardines once a week.

Her poos are always firm and brown which as far as I know is about right.

Marion, hope Shadow is okay, let us know ?

CJ
Click on my pic below to find out more about me!
CJ
Obedient Dog

Postby Maxine100 » 10 Mar 2008, 14:42

OMG Marion, :shock:

Let us know how Shadow is. Fingers crossed for him.
Maxine100
Working Trials Champion

Postby Marion » 10 Mar 2008, 17:47

On the walk yesterday we went by a kind of pluge pool that comes from a woodland stream. The dogs usually go down to have a drink. I lean over the railing to watch them but what I have never noticed is that the water going into the pool comes through a big pipe that carries the water from one side of the wood under the road into the pool. For some unknown reason Shadow went up the pipe. I could hear him splashing around and the noise of stones and rocks moving and called him out. He came out slipping and sliding then came up the bank. I thought no more about it till we got home and he began to whine. Thinking it was because he was cold or his arthritic knee joint was playing up I stuck a jumper on him and put the heating on. Around 4.30 he came upstairs to me and I knew something was wrong. One of the benefits of a Dobe having a tail is that when they are in pain or ill they curl the tail under their body really tightly. His ears were hanging and he whined and cried non stop. I went to go downstairs calling him to follow. He took one step down with his front legs on the top step and sank to the floor crying out a big YELP. His back legs were splayed wide apart and at a funny angle.

Nothing I could do would get him to move at all. I tried to nudge him backwards to the landing but he wouldn't move. I got a big towel, put it under his front end and kind of levered him back so he was at least lying on the flat floor. He wasn't making a sound by then but his whole body was shaking and trembling. I put a rug over him and sat waiting for my daughter to get home so I could lift him downstairs. I checked all his limbs but this damn dog of mine is so obedient he will let you pull his legs around without making a sound. I just thought that it was probably the vertebrae being pinched in his neck due to the wobblers. He definitely could not stand.

My daughter came in about 15 minutes later and tried to help me but couldn't get near Shadow as he was growling horriably at her. In the end I went down to the kitchen, opened the fridge and called him. His greed was enough to get him moving so I rushed back to the stairs to make sure he didn't fall. Managed to get him to his bed but he would only lie down in a straight line with his head held up. It seemed as though he couldn't lower it. Again I thought of the Wobblers and that one of the symptoms that lowering the head causes discomfort. Being Sunday, I was reluctant to call the vet and adopted the "wait and see" method. To make matters worse a dog had bloated that day at the kennels where my daughter works so she was filling my head with "is he bloating". Trick is not to panic and let imagination run riot. Yes he had been fed and yes maybe it was a bit too soon after his walk but he did not have a swollen abdomen, saliva and was not vomiting. I have painkillers ready for Shadow for his arthritis so I gave him two. He fell asleep an hour later and looked more comfortable so I decided to wait till this morning.

He limped into the vets and let him twist and turn his legs in all directions, push backwards on his head as if pushing it into the spine. Verdict was that Shadow has definitely strained ligaments and the muscles in both back legs, most likely as he was slipping around in the pipe. Vet gave him an anti inflammatory plus pain killer jab. He is walking around now but is moving very stiffly so lots of R&R for him. Suits me. This weather is awful, oh and one of the collies has the squirts.....the joys of owning a dog.

Thanks for your kind thoughts, so nice of you all to be concerned. Much appreciated. :)

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Maxine100 » 10 Mar 2008, 18:30

Well thats good news Marion,

Glad to hear he is on the road to recovery. :D
Maxine100
Working Trials Champion

Postby debbie » 11 Mar 2008, 09:34

Just read about Shadow Marion glad to hear he is ok it must have been a bit of a scare for you. Give him a hug from me.

With reference to crufts and pedigree- The dog shows are sponsored by the big food companies because they use the commercial time during the show to sell their product to the public. Crufts i should imagine are not bothered who sponsors them as long as the money is right! If tampax offered them mega pounds im sure they would even let them be the major sponsor!!!!! We asked a few people who were there showing their dogs and not one said they fed them on pedigree. There maybe some but not many.
There were a lot of people at the pedigree stand buying the food, as i am looking into food a lot at the moment i would have liked to talk to someone at the pedigree stand about the ingredients.................unfortunately there were only brainwashed monkeys around who didnt know the answers to my questions..............i got the same from Eukanuba when i asked them if they did a range of food without wheat!!!!! I confused the lady at Oscars when i was asking them why they hadnt listed the additives BHA & BHT on the nice laminated sheets they were showing to people and all i got back was "we do have an honest labelling policy"!!! So i went on to explain that i had a bag at home and it says contains EC permitted BHA & BHT but on these sheets it doesnt show that, needless to say all they seemed to be marketing was the free door to door delivery by one of there franchise owners! they didnt even have any food there to buy..............A lot of blank expressions!

Marion i picked up some of joe jacks food (i think) and some Pero organic food that was on offer. It came in a nice bag to carry it around in :lol: and had a box of treats. Like anything once something becomes popular the price usually goes down (fingers crossed).
debbie
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Marion » 11 Mar 2008, 17:21

Good for you Debbie. Well done for putting them on the spot. These company sales teams think that we are all just going to blindly accept what they say about the dog food. Shadow has got a REAL fleece for dogs now. It is bright red and soft and warm and fits him a treat. Of course tight fisted me did not buy it. My daughter was fed up of me cutting up jumpers to fit Shadow and didn't think the sight of him walking round in a Damart artic strength t shirt style vest (50p at a car boot last year) cute at all!!!. She won't tell me how much it cost as she slunk off alone to buy it. It must have been a lot as she insists on folding it carefully every morning. This is someone who thinks "hanging clothes up" means throwing them over her dressing table or kicking them under the bed. Still Shadow loves it and he doesn't whine so much in the evenings now.

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby debbie » 11 Mar 2008, 19:55

Marion ............. can we have a pic??? he he he

Thats funny as on Sunday it was cold and windy here and after long very muddy walking, rolling in mud session from Kaiser i just had to bath him. He was caked in mud and orangey clay. I towelled him dry and put an old jumper on him as he was shivering a little ..................he did like it, will have to remember to atake a photo next time :D
debbie
Schutzhund Champion

Postby Marion » 12 Mar 2008, 10:02

Not having a "male" in the house, I am constantly scrounging old jumpers/sweatshirts off male acquaintences one of whom worked for a well known DIY superstore. Shadow sported a bright orange sweatshirt with ?&? on it. Had to laugh.... :lol:

I will see if my daughter can supply a picture via her new super dooper must have mobile phone. She could (I think) e mail it to martin to be uploaded.

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby claire » 12 Mar 2008, 14:55

When I get round to measuring tun i will be purchasing some of these!!

http://www.equafleece.co.uk/galleryfordogs.aspx
claire
Schutzhund Dog

Postby julie p » 12 Mar 2008, 18:34

I feed Alfie and Lottie on James Wellbeloved, had previously used Science diet natures best but Alfie did not like the adult version..but when I 1st got alfie he was only 8weeks and was on Bakers and was quite a noaughty puppy... :shock: so maybe it was that!
sad
Marion glad Shawdow is feeling a bit better, but will need to tell my hubby about the jumpers and fleeces as he is allways saying that I should not put jumpers on my 2!!!They only weigh 5lbs and 7lbs each so if these big guys need jumpers mine do too :D .
julie p
Obedient Dog

Postby Marion » 12 Mar 2008, 19:05

Julie, don't get me wrong, I am not one of these people that like all the designer gear for dogs but ANYONE who has a Doberman will tell you just how much they whine, whistle and groan if they are cold. Nothing pleases these dogs. In winter they shiver if the temperature drops below 20 degrees and in summer they gasp, pant and seek the shade if it gets even remotely warm. On a nice summers day, when the collies are all swimming in the lakes or river, the Dobe will be gasping under a tree. He hogs the rads in winter and sits in front of the fan in summer. The Manchester police used to use Doberman but gave up on them because they are so sensitive to weather changes, employing the great all rounder, GSD instead.

If your lot are anything like as vocal as my dobe then ignore hubby and get them a jumper!!!! Anything for a quiet life. :wink:

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby julie p » 14 Mar 2008, 19:44

Well Marion as you can see by the photo my hubby does not seem to object to the Scotland jumpers they have on.... :lol: But objects big time to anything pink and fluffy.. :lol:
julie p
Obedient Dog

Postby Archie » 15 Mar 2008, 08:57

Hi Y'all,
If i am really busy, my fella gets Nature Diet. It costs around 65p for a 400g pack. I find these the best for my 7 month old ESS.

By the way Marion, i've got 2 Becks T shirts given to me by the local landlord in a large size. They'll be a bit more classy than a B&Q shirt.

HTH

A
Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.
Archie
Schutzhund Dog

Postby Marion » 15 Mar 2008, 09:56

Like Archie, I also use Nature Diet if pushed for time, or Forthglade. I wouldnt use moist dog food in the long term unless I was giving the dog bones as moist food can cause dental problems. Anyone with a puppy should wean them onto carrot sticks as a chew, Excellent for the teeth with the added bonus of extra vitamins to optimise health.

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Postby starks » 19 Mar 2008, 21:12

I am glad I found this site just today and would like to chip in re dried food. We found a premium salmon complete food by mistake looking for active holidays called www.activefeeds.co.uk which has worked wonders for my spaniels which I drag hubby around to the agility events :) looking forward to learning from this forum.
Jane starks
starks
Housebroken Pup

woops

Postby starks » 19 Mar 2008, 21:15

starks
Housebroken Pup

Postby Marion » 20 Mar 2008, 09:41

Hi Starks and welcome to the forum.

Clicked on the link you provided and page came up with "site cannot be found"

marion
Marion
Schutzhund Champion

Call me stupid :}

Postby starks » 20 Mar 2008, 10:05

O.K I promise to get it right. I'll do it slowly :)
www.activepetfeeds.co.uk
starks
Housebroken Pup

Next

Return to Dog Health