cat problems

Instructions for Free Membership and signing up to join in the discussions on this Forum.

Moderators: Richard, Martin

cat problems

Postby LizM » 16 May 2010, 22:25

Hi I acquired a young dobie 3 weeks ago, he is a really good boy - though we still have a lot to learn about each other yet, but he is having a real problem with my 3 cats who are quite used to living with dogs. He is really obsessed, we've tried nose to nose (for which i've now got half a dozen scratches up my arm) we've tried showing him their beds, food bowls etc, but as soon as they move he is after them and they are now terrified and living upstairs which is not ideal and as time goes on they are refusing to even try and get to know him - can't blame them really - any suggestions gratefully received as I've never had this problem with any of my previous dogs and cats no matter what their ages.
Bruce, 3 year old male Dobermann - (rescued) Kent
LizM
Fluffy Puppy

Re: cat problems

Postby Confused Canines » 17 May 2010, 02:28

What a bad situation to be in! Hope you get it resolved quickly.

Id normally recommend pet corrector, but I was overruled last time...

Maybe Hetty can help?
Confused Canines
K9 Expert

Postby Confused Canines » 17 May 2010, 02:30

Maybe you can glean some info from this thread last week?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3114
Confused Canines
K9 Expert

Postby LizM » 17 May 2010, 09:40

Hi, thanks for your reply, i was reading all the threads that you recommended including yours, my problem is that it's inside the house, they are my cats and as I say i've never had a problem this bad in over 20yrs of dogs and cats all living together which is why it's come as a bit of a shock. I'm quite used to a dog who lives happily indoors with cats, then the gloves are off and having a different viewpoint when they're outside - rules don't count then! But never in the home, I am going to try the pet corrector as I don't have much to lose at this point, and if it can't be resolved, I suppose the only answer is to give him back to the shelter, but I really, really don't want to do that -it seems very unfair on him but at the moment it's very unfair on my moggies - rather a big problem. :cry:
LizM
Fluffy Puppy

Postby LeviBevi » 18 May 2010, 09:34

oh dear what a pickle :shock:

my heart does go out to you :love:

Do you have a crate? or is he in his own bed?
how confident are your cats?
do you feel that he is being aggressive towards the cats?
or is he just really focused on them?

I have crates and I have terriers with huge prey drives
:roll:
- so when introducing a new dog to the cats
I tend to take the dog out and really tire him out
then I pop them into the crate and allow the cats to get used to him
he is only allowed into the room with my cats on a lead and under control

I mix up their bedding to so the cats become part of the same smell and so they are treated as a pack member

also the cats dictate the speed of progress - they decide to be in the room with the dog and the dog is never allowed to get close to the cat
they also always have a safe escape route

in fact for the first few months - the only contact between the two is when the cats are in the front room on the sofa relaxing and I bring the dog into the room on a lead at the heel and watching me
the dog is sat with his back to the cats and has to watch me and is not allowed to make eye contact with the cats
it is all really really controlled and strict
if he tries to turn his head to look I give a firm 'Ah' and the watch command again
if he starts to fail then he is removed from the room and put into his crate (al done in silence)
then I wait a minute and start again from the beginning

the other thing I do as well is the dog is shown the cats bed but it is more a 'these belong to me and not you' type showing
I put the dog into the crates and then feed the cats in the kitchen so he can see that they are feed before him and they get my attention first

I tend to control doorways too
I go first into any room and I scan for cats before I allow the dog into the room
again he is not allowed to even look at the cat

I practice and get a really good Leave command and in fact have a specific one for cat chasing - cos lets face it we are not perfect and it is going to happen at some point!

just thought I would let you know how I deal with it as it might give you some ideas and help

good luck :wave:
LeviBevi
K9 Expert

Postby LizM » 18 May 2010, 13:29

thank you some helpful advice there, unfortunately not all of it will help me as we are in the middle of renovating our house and are all on top of each other as it is - not helping matters. My husband did hold him on the lead whilst i bought the cats in to be introduced, he just went wild and nearly pulled my husband over - not easy believe me. At first i thought it was just curiosity and 'chase' but i'm seeing more aggression as time goes by. A muzzle made him worse, and I have now discovered he is worse with our cats then neighbourhood ones which we come across in our walks, this makes me wonder if its some kind of possession thing he has, it's not helping that the cats are now far more terrified than they were when we first bought him home, they refuse point blank to come downstairs now except 2 of them will come to eat in the kitchen if they know he's outside, but they are very very jumpy, the 3rd will starve rather than come down the stairs at all. I will keep trying but any more idea will be gratefully received. :crazy:
LizM
Fluffy Puppy

Postby LisaBC » 18 May 2010, 16:24

Im very sorry but if the situation is that you cant keep them seperate and the cats are in danger then I would be thinking of sending him back so he could be rehomed to someone without cats. Its not easy and Im sure you will do all you can but sometimes things just dont work out the way we want them too. Did the shelter not cat test him before rehoming?
Good luck :thumbsup:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Poppy 23months, Boo 13months, Solly 15wks, Flump 10yrs, Oscar 9Yrs
LisaBC
Schutzhund Champion

Postby LizM » 18 May 2010, 22:07

No they didn't, possibly because they knew his history, he hadn't actually been ill-treated, though they knew i had cats so i naturally assumed they had tested him, maybe he ignored the ones at the shelter, as it was a kennels and he had too much else to keep him occupied - i don't know to be honest, but i may give them a call and see what they say, today he was a little better, i had to be very tough and loud with him and put a halti on him to turn his head when he started to get out of control, so maybe he'll calm down enough with more time - fingers crossed
LizM
Fluffy Puppy

Return to How To Join This FREE Dog Forum - Instructions for Joining