Bobby

Create your own training space here

Moderator: Richard

Re: Bobby

Postby Vickih » 16 Apr 2011, 21:00

You are such an inspiration to me, you're working so hard and it really inspires me to train hard with the little issues we have here! Thank you for updating this training blog, I really enjoy reading of Bobby's progress!
Vickih
Well-Mannered Young Dog

Postby janz » 18 Apr 2011, 23:01

It sounds like its going really well :thumbsup:
My sons g/f family have an excellent. lovable waggy yorkie who rarely barks! He's tiny too, and very well behaved! :)
Max, aged 10 in April! mongrel rescue
Foster no 8, big 3 yr old boxer..rehomed!
Adopted Nell, brindle boxer Apr2011
"in-consistancy is the enemy of good training" ~ Richard
janz
Schutzhund Dog

Postby ski1 » 13 Jun 2011, 14:23

Really sad news - Bess the chocolate lab slipped her collar this morning and was hit by a car.

A gorgeous girl waiting at the rainbow bridge - we will all miss her
ski1
Working Dog

Postby memphis » 14 Jun 2011, 09:21

So sorry to hear that :love:
McNulty - 3 year old cairn terrier.
memphis
Working Trials Champion

Postby ski1 » 19 Nov 2012, 13:23

A local trainer has just started Growly Dogs Agility - only four dogs per class and only one dog in the paddock on the equipment at a time, the other three are in another area practising ignoring each other.
Bobby really enjoys it, :D even if he doesn't see the point of weaving when going in a straight line is quicker. :!: The other dogs are proper GSDs (not mongrels like Bobby) and are very vocal but he doesn't take any notice if we are at the proper distance. Working on getting the distance shorter but it's early days yet.

He sure sleeps well when we get home and so do I!
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 24 Nov 2012, 04:25

sounds like a great way to reduce the stress by feeding it in with small manageable doses, good for you! hope that distance is coming down each visit :)
A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such. - John Holmes

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 21 Mar 2013, 13:28

Saddly the Growly dogs agilty has ended as a couple of dogs left. :(
But on the happy front our friend who owned Bess the chocolate lab has just got another dog :)

The other dog is a four year old very large, majestic black lab by the name of Raj. Unfortunately Raj pulled his previous owner over trying to get at Bobby on the other side of the road. But putting that out of my mind I took Bobby (suitably muzzled just in case) for a walk with Raj & his new Dad. We paralel walked & talked (the humans that is) and ignored the dogs. Fairly quickly both dogs relaxed and ignored each other. The second walk Raj sniffed Bobby who didn't know what to do but by the third walk both dogs were walking side by side, sniffing the same things together and doing syncronised wees!

Taking them to the pub this weekend, weather permitting.

Hopefully Bobby will have a friend again.
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 24 Mar 2013, 14:28

Fantastic, well done!
Only one criticism, PUB, IN THIS WEATHER?! Rather you than me. I am tucked up by the radiator with a big warm dog :D
A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such. - John Holmes

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 25 Mar 2013, 13:02

You were right Martin, far too cold for the pub, fingers crossed for the Easter weekend
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 25 Mar 2013, 13:13

There was me thinking Spring was here a week or two ago. Went to a dog training club one morning at around 9am and it was actually hot sat in the sun. Can't believe its back to this, it feels like December. We have a broken boiler and using deadfall wood to keep one room warm! Horrible, not my kind of weather at all!

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 25 Mar 2013, 18:05

Sorry to hear about the boiler, we have a new one sitting in the dining room waiting to be fitted, it was delivered and the engineer couldn't get to us because of the snow. It's now booked in for mid April but at least the old one is still sort of working. Hope you can stay warm some how
ski1
Working Dog

Postby ski1 » 07 May 2013, 12:08

Sucess - Bobby & Raj spent eight hours together with no problems :supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin: - ended up sleeping side by side. No photos cos I forgot my camera, maybee next time :D
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 10 May 2013, 14:00

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done!

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 13 May 2013, 12:20

An other good day- we went for a walk with friends on Saturday and one lady had a tiny (2.5 lb) white fluffy ball of energy on an extendable lead - lunch for the old Bobby :roll:

But he managed to walk and not take too much notice of it bouncing and growling at him - he just had one moment in the pub when I was distracted paying for my drink but it was a very half hearted attempt. (The fields of sheep were a differennt matter :confused: )

So onwards & upwards
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 13 May 2013, 12:27

haha, alcohol and dicey dogs are never a good mixture, great fun though!!!

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 13 May 2013, 12:33

Only half a pint - I had to drive home
ski1
Working Dog

Postby ski1 » 28 May 2013, 12:14

An other milestone - for the first time Bobby let me deal with the three (2 pugs & a Jack Russel) dogs that rushed up to us on a quiet country lane. He stood behind me and didn't try to lunge at them or otherwise take control while I did my best authoritative 'Get back'. Then just to prove the point he completely ignored the two Yorkies only four feet away from him in the pub garden - :lol:
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 29 May 2013, 13:50

Fantastic! That sounds like some serious progress you have there!
Or perhaps you just learned your dog's favourite watering hole? :d

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Postby ski1 » 29 May 2013, 15:02

Think you're right about Bobby's favourite watering hole, it's hard to get him to understand that they aren't open at 6am when we walk past, he always looks very disappointed (Even I wouldn't want a beer that early!)

Hope all is well with you, how is the site upgrade going?
ski1
Working Dog

Postby Martin » 29 May 2013, 15:18

Ha ha, yeah 6am is a tad early for anyone, except Bobby I suppose!

Site upgrade hit a brick wall when a programmer disappeared mid project. in the process of replacing him, but not easy :(

New!! - Doberman Book
Martin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Training Journals