Puppy growling when eating

Puppy Discussion Board - Everything from buying a puppy to training and caring for puppies of all types

Moderators: Richard, Martin

Puppy growling when eating

Postby poolie58 » 08 Feb 2009, 11:43

We have a 16 week old Dogue De Bordeaux and recently she has started growling if you walk past her when she eats and even snapped at my wife when she went to stroke her whilst the puppy was eating her food. She never did this ealier.

Any advice much appreciated.

Fluffy Puppy

Re: Puppy growling when eating

Postby Hetty » 08 Feb 2009, 21:46

Sit with your puppy on the ground when she is supposed to get her meal. Every time you put some food in her bowl. Like 2 or 3 nibbles, let her eat it and put then some more in. You continue this until she has had her complete meal. This way she will learn that you are not a threat to her and she does not have to be afraid that you will take it away from her while in fact you are giving her more. A hand coming to her foodbowl will mean "there is more food coming" and not "they will take it away from me".
K9 Expert

Postby LeviBevi » 20 Feb 2009, 20:38

what an excellent idea hetty :goodpost:

We did a similar thing we try to put a little food in the bowl and then put your hand in containing the food and release some food into the bowl everynow and then and she will see that a hand in the bowl is great

The other things that I would be doing are to do with ensuring that she sees you as the leader and that she lives in the house becuase you allow it
Stand in her bed ot if she has a crate then control access to it - this is just reminding her that its yours

give her plenty of love and affection on your terms
and play alot - but you initiate the play and you end it
then you should have few problems later

most important of all - enjoy your puppy
K9 Expert

Postby suze » 28 Feb 2009, 00:01

Hi, i did this with my pup from when we first got him as have 2 grandchildren and wanted to be as sure as possible of no feeding probs him , he is 8 months old now and very good but i still add bits of extra tasty food about once a week and so far so good. :D
Obedient Dog

Postby LeviBevi » 06 Mar 2009, 12:11

:goodpost: suze

I think that is great - it is always a good idea to remind your dog what you want from them
I still do a similar thing to mine and they are 4 years old now
K9 Expert

Postby Marion » 08 Mar 2009, 16:02

:goodpost: Hetty. How is it going Peter? Has there been any improvement? It is so important to establish your control over the food bowl and at the same time let your dog know that you are not a threat to her resource. Striking this balance is necessary to impliment yourself as a strong leader. Ultimitely as leader, you control all resources including the food bowl.
It is important that this food guarding ceases now. Let us know how you are getting on.

Schutzhund Champion

Return to Puppy Training